* WTIX Composite Aircheck (1979) featuring:
Robert Mitchell, Larry Hamilton, Kathy Fishman, Pal Al Nasser, Greg Fox,
$25,000 Giveaway promo (Buzz Bennett voiceover), Bob Walker (TIX Original Oldie Hour),
Terry Young, Money Music Scrambled Songs promo, Marty with the Party, Kim Stephens.
* Don Anthony - Aircheck August 1973 (7:33)
* Don Anthony - Louis Prima Interview 1974 (10:00)
* Tom Cheney - Newscast June 1970 during the Bill Murvin show. (3:56)
Defense Department ready to draw lottery numbers for the 1971 military draft.
* Richard Fahey - Newscast 6/5/62 (3:39)
* Michael Green - Tape City Spot for Sergio Mendez & Brazil '66 album & concert. November 1969 (1:09)
* Ted Green - Aircheck Summer 1962 (15:50) Recorded on a DX radio signal, some QSB.
* Joe Hagler - Aircheck Summer 1962 (2:07)
* Robert Mitchell - Aircheck June 1969. Bob Walker 20-20 Traffic, Bill Murvin on Smith's & Tape City Spot. (8:55)
* Robert Mitchell - Aircheck It's a Robert Mitchell Morning - July 22 1969. (27:24)
Relive the fun for almost a half hour with Robert Mitchell and the radio hits of 1969. WTIX News Chief Jim
Swiler does a Signal 20 traffic report, and a 20-20 newscast with an update of the Apollo 11 astronauts who
were on the moon on this date.Also hear 1969 local radio commercials including Rex Root Beer,
Pontchartrain Beach, Schlitz Beer, Metropolitan Bank of Jefferson (with Aunt Polly and nephew Sterling),
Godchaux (Bob Walker), Pepsi (Bob Walker), the Zoom Zoom Room, RC Cola contest (Bill Murvin),
* Robert Mitchell - Aircheck November 1969 (22:45)
Another Robert Mitchell Morning. Robert Mitchell plays the radio hits of 1969. WTIX News Chief Jim Swiler does a
Signal 20 traffic report. Bob Mitchell and Jim Swiler conduct an interview with "Quarterback Billy Kilmore"
(takeoff on Saints QB Billy Kilmer). Also hear 1969 local radio commercials including Louisiana Power & Light,
The Marvelous Myth promo (Beatles), DH Holmes Yardley promotion, Sears (Dave Ralston), Expo '69 (not '67),
Sergio Mendez concert (Michael Green), Bernie Dumas Buick (Bill Murvin), a bad Drive-In Movie ad, Metropolitan
Bank Of Jefferson (with Aunt Polly and nephew Sterling), Dr. Pepper, Robo-Wash and more.
* Robert Mitchell (with Jim Swiler) - Quarterback "Billy Kilmore" November 1969 (1:17)
* Robert Mitchell (with Katy Caraway) - Mardi Gras Phone Calls February 28, 1980 (5:18)
* Bill Murvin - Aircheck, June 1970. Includes Tom Cheney Newscast.
* Bill Murvin - RC Cola Spot July 1969 (:34) $3.00 off a $19.95 portable 45 rpm record player.
* Bill Murvin - Bernie Dumas Buick Spot November 1969 (:32)
* Gene Phillips - Aircheck June 1962. (1:09) A brief clip of WTIX's "All Night Satellite."
David Nebel doing records disclaimer.
* Ed Ripley - Aircheck 6/5/62 (15:27)
Also includes commercials for Pontchartrain Beach, the 1962 Ford Galaxy, Mexsana Powder, 7-Up Float,
and a mention of Kirschman's Gentilly Woods. Also The Great Roller Coaster Marathon at Pontchartrain
Beach winning WTIX DJ's. announced, a fun contest to Name JFK's PT boat, and the telephone Double
or Nothing contest.
* Craig Roberts (with Bob Walker) - The Origin of Thanksgiving 1971 (4:26) Explained by the oldest man in
* Craig Roberts - Guglielmo the Tree 1972 (:25) Smoky the Bear PSA takeoff for Italy.
* Craig Roberts - Vito Mufallato 1972 (:55)
WTIX Morning newsman Craig Roberts was also known for his comic relief bits on Robert Mitchell's
When The Godfather movie was riding high in popularity when released in 1972, and New Orleans staged
another election not long afterwards, Craig Roberts created "Vito Mufallato" who urged people to vote the
* Jim Swiler - Traffic Report November 1969 (1:55)
* Jim Swiler - 20/20 Newscast July 22, 1969 (6:03)
* Bob Walker - Christmas Eve 1967 (1:08) Bob flubs his midnight Bible reading. What else can I say?
* Bob Walker - Aircheck 1968 (11:57)
* Bob Walker - Aircheck October 6, 1968 (10:47)
It's a WTIX Golden Weekend on a Sunday Night. Includes a 20-20 Newscast (by Bob Walker), a WTIX
Laugh-In contest promo, a rats in the city PSA, and a Donovan concert promo by Robert Mitchell.
* Bob Walker - Sonovox Name Shout 1969
* Bob Walker - Aircheck October 22, 1969 (10:30)
Also the WTIX 1969 Halloween House Decoration Contest, a Signal 20 traffic report by David Lawrence,
a spot for the new Vanilla Fudge tape on sale at Tape City USA, and a full Coca Cola "It's The Real Thing"
spot by the Fortunes (near the end).
* Bob Walker - Aircheck August 1970
Cruise out on the lakefront once again with the sound of the real and classic WTIX 690 on a summertime
Saturday afternoon in 1970.
* Bob Walker - Aircheck April 1971 (1:23)
* Bob Walker - Aircheck February 1972 (12:08)
Where were you in February 1972? Donny Osmond was at #1, the TIX All-Stars basketball team was ready
to play De La Salle, the time chime and the music that was on your radio.
* Bob Walker - Aircheck May 16, 1972 (11:00)
May 16, 1972. Presidential candidate / Alabama Governor George Wallace had just been shot.
Frequent updates between songs, and a 20-20 news summary of what was known at that moment by
J. Andrew Michaels.
* Bob Walker - Aircheck August 8, 1972 (9:52)
Includes live spots for Godchaux's Bottoms Up Shop, 7-Up the Uncola, and an employment opportunity for
a painter at $3.00 an hour ... among other stuff of 1972.
* Bob Walker - Aircheck August 10, 1972 (11:46)
2 days later ... Live commercials for local businesses and PSA's ... another job offering for $4.00 an hour,
and the August 1972 hits and oldies.
* Bob Walker - with Hazel Belle Jenkins 1977 (1:19)
Hazel Belle was one of our regular call-in "characters." Here she is complaining about
President Jimmy Carter and Bert Lance.
* Bob Walker - Aircheck 1981 The Oldies Professor Steve Slumber calls the WTIX Original Oldie Hour. (3:13)
* Bob Walker - Fats Domino Phone Interview 1980 (5:51)
Fats talks about his music, his upcoming shows at Bobby's Place, his upcoming movie with Clint Eastwood
and his new song in it, and he invites me and our Program Director Robert Mitchell over to his house next
week so he can cook for us. Of course we took him up on his offer. In his undershirt he personally cooked
red beans and rice, along with corn bread for us. He even sent Reggie Hall to the grocery to get us all some
Barq's Root Beers. After lunch he sang a few of his songs for us in his living room.
* Skip Wilkerson - Aircheck Morning Drive, August 5, 1964 (27:05)
Lots of Beatles stuff and Beatles concert ticket finalists * Humorous Anacin commercial ... "I ONLY HAVE
TWO HANDS !!!" * The Fat Black Pussycat movie spot * The Beatles are coming to New Orleans ...
Louise Harrison Caldwell (George's sister) reports on the Beatles and Ringo being nominated for President
of the United States * Dan Diamond ad for Tackle face medication * Community Billboard * Name Dropper
Contest * 5 minute Charlie Ray newscast.
Skip Wilkerson - Aircheck Morning Drive, March 16, 1965 (10:02)
* Sy Jenkins - Aircheck 20/20 Newscast, with David Lawrence and Jon Reed 5/20/70 ( 8:38 )
OTHER WTIX AUDIO
Beatles Concert Ticket Contest - WTIX September 1964 (1:02)
* Louise Harrison Caldwell WTIX Aircheck, August 5, 1964.
As Beatlemania set in, Louise Harrison Caldwell (sister of Beatle George Harrison) called WTIX every day
from St. Louis, MO with updates and tidbits about the Beatles to fan the excitement of their upcoming
concert in New Orleans on September 16, 1964. In this call, Louise talks about Ringo possibly being
nominated for President of the United States in the 1964 election in November. LOL
Morgus' Experiment - House of Shock theme & experiment - '45 record released in 1959 (4:07)
Pontchartrain Beach radio spot - WTIX 1962 (1:02)
Ed Ripley voiceover, featuring The Nerveless Nocks and the Poodle Express.
Pontchartrain Beach jingle donut and bed only - late 1960's (:42)
In 1962, inspired by the success of the new CBS-TV show "The Beverly Hillbillies," WTIX created and recorded "The Ballad Of The TIX Tigers." Using the actual TV show theme song "The Ballad Of Jed Clampett" and splicing the banjo on the beginning over and over, a similar fun song was born that spotlighted the WTIX DJ's of 1962 instead of the Clampett family. This fun song is still fondly remembered by many today. The "singer" is (WTIX DJ) Ed Ripley. The DJ's he 'sings' about are: Ron Martin, David Nebel, Bill Baker, Ed Ripley, Bob Robin, Ted Green and Gene Phillips.
WTIX Appreciation Night at Pontchartrain Beach Promos (Free Concerts):
* New Orleans Singers Say "Hi" on the WTIX Original Oldie Hour at Noon with Bob Wallker - 1981 (1:11)
Hear John Fred, Clarence "Frogman" Henry, the Dixie Cups, Eddie Powers, Frankie Ford, Huey "Piano" Smith, Joe Barry, Mike Ancona, Milson Luce and Oliver "Who Shot The La-La" Morgan, all saying hi on Bob Walker's Original Oldie Hour at 12 noon on WTIX 690-am.
* WTIX Classic Sounds (0:18)
The sounds that listeners remembered the most:
1.) The "WTIX ... and we love you" jingle (courtesy of PAMS jingles),
2.) Skinny Tommy Cheney's shout out, and,
3.) One of our four chime tones that we played whenever we announced what time it was in the 1970's.
Mid 60's Radio Commercials heard on WTIX
( Contributed by neworleansradio.com )
Budweiser Beer ( Clydesdales marching in a Mardi Gras parade - Skip Broussard & Buzz Bennett )
Kreeger's Mam'zelle K Shop (Robert Mitchell)
Metairie Ford ( Check out the prices for new cars and gasoline! )
"Online since 1999"
WTIX CLASSIC SOUNDS ... Listen Here
1. "WTIX ... and we love you" jingle
2. Skinny Tom Cheney name shout
3. One of the WTIX classic Time Chimes